Mr. Gorman practices in the areas of Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning and Administration, Commercial Real Estate, and Corporate Law. He was born in Rockville Centre, New York, in 1960, raised in Manhasset, New York, and has lived in North Carolina for more than 30 years.
- Has drafted more than 10,000 trusts of various types, including living revocable trusts for probate avoidance, credit shelter trusts and other instruments for estate tax avoidance.
- Represented many commercial real estate clients, including the owners of Ballantyne Village, a mixed-use retail, office, and residential center in purchasing the property, drafting restrictive covenants and easements, and obtaining and closing the construction loan, and the $50,000,000 securitized permanent financing loan.
- Has helped hundreds of general business owners with corporate formations, lease reviews, and general legal advice for starting a small business.
- Has advised many dentists and other health care professionals regarding their unique needs with respect to starting up a new practice, or purchasing an existing practice.
- Represented numerous clients by drafting wills, powers of attorney, advanced medical directives (living wills), and assisting in Medicaid, Medicare, and elder law planning.
Rated as Preeminent (5.0 out of 5.0), by Martindale Hubble Legal Directory (owners of Lawyers.com), based upon client reviews.
Recipient of the Client Distinction Award from Martindale Hubble, 2012-2016.
Rated as Superb (9.3 out of 10) by Avvo.
B.A., magna cum laude, Economics and English, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, 1982.
J.D., Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina, 1985.
Legal Intern, U.S. Dept. of Transportation, Office of the Secretary, Washington, D.C. 1983.
Attorney, Baker, Smith & Mills, Dallas, Texas, 1985-86.
Attorney, Petree, Stockton & Robinson (now Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, LLP), Charlotte, North Carolina 1987.
Thomas J. Gorman, Attorney at Law (now Gorman & Associates, P.A.) 1988-Present.
The State Bar of Texas, 1985.
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1985.
North Carolina State Bar, 1987.
U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1987.
South Carolina Bar, 2007.
American Bar Association- Member: Real Property, Trusts & Estates Section.
North Carolina Bar Association- Real Property Section, Trusts and Estates Section.
Mecklenburg County Bar.
Duke University School of Law, Barrister Society, 1989-2005.
Duke Law School Future Forum 2000-2003.
St. Matthew Catholic Church World Hunger Drive Committee Member 2005- Present, Meal Packing Event Master of Ceremonies 2013- Present.
St. Matthew Catholic Church Parish Pastoral Council Member 2003-2006, Vice Chairperson 2004-2005, Chairperson 2005-2006.
Knights of Columbus Council #10852- Third Degree.
Boy Scouts of America, Troop 8, Charlotte, North Carolina, Merit Badge Counselor, 2009-2015.
Girl Scouts, Hornets’ Nest Council, Meck 13 Powder Puff Derby, Master of Ceremonies, 2013-2017.
North Carolina Junior Chamber of Commerce- Legal Counsel, District Director, 1989-90.
Charlotte Jaycees- Life Member; Membership Vice President 1990-91.
WSOC/ St. Jude Children’s Hospital Radiothon Chairman, 1990.
Seminars and Lectures
CLE Lecturer, Mastering Real Estate Titles in North Carolina, National Business Institute, 1995.
Instructor, Real Estate Law, Institute of Financial Education, 1996-1998.
Seminar Lecturer, “Estate Planning in the New Normal,” The Hines-Fox Group of Merrill Lynch, Charlotte, North Carolina, 2009.
Seminar Leader- Estate Planning for Financial Advisors, Ameriprise Financial Advisors, 1995-1997, 2003-2005, and Charles Schwab Company, 2002-2004.
Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education, “eRecording: Here and Now,” BridgeTrust Title Group, Charlotte, North Carolina, 2011.
Member of the Trusted Advisor Panel- Thompson Financial Group, Charlotte, NC, 2010-present.
Member, Board of Advisors of the Fox-Kaplan Wealth Management Team of Merrill Lynch, Charlotte, NC, 2006-2016.
Additional Legal Education
Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company’s Advanced Planning Seminar, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2011, and 2013.
Duke University Law School Estate Planning Conference, 2008.
Married to Nannette Gorman for 25 years. Has three children ages 23, 20, and 17. Father of two Eagle Scouts, and a Girl Scout Gold Award recipient.